Tips for using a car wash:
- Find certified car wash location at Ecobiz.org
- Look for brushless systems that won’t scratch your paint.
- Be sure the soap is non-caustic and formulated for cars.
- Paying for tire treatment is worth the money. The commercial wash is very effective at removing heavy grease and baked on brake dust.
- It will save you time and energy and these products are toxic to the environment and should be sent to drains that go to a wastewater treatment plant.
- Look for car washes that have systems to conserve water. Car washes that recapture and treat their water are helping protect the environment.
If you are washing your own car:
- Use a phosphate-free, biodegradable soap. Formulas made for cars, not dishes, are easier on your car’s paint coat.
- Use a sprayer on your hose to prevent water waste.
- Wash at a self-service area, over grass or gravel area or use rolled towels to divert soapy, greasy water from running down the driveway and street and into the drains that go directly to our local streams. Even biodegradable soap is harmful to streams, so please protect streams by not allowing water to discharge into the street.
Hosting a Fundraising Car Wash?
Contact local car washes and sell coupon books instead!