PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A fire at a recycling center in Southeast Portland closed traffic in both directions at Southeast Foster Road on Saturday evening between 104th and 99th for a couple of hours.
No injuries were reported and no other structures are in danger. The cause of the fire, which happened at the West Rock recycling center, is still being determined, a spokeswoman for Portland Fire said.
The fire burnt bails of plastic and other recyclable materials. The spokeswoman said, because of the burning plastic, that the fumes are definitely toxic.
“That’s definitely a carcinogen and concern,” she said. “Anybody with respiratory issues should stay in doors.”
The fire was reported after 4:11 p.m. on Saturday.
KOIN 6 News will update this story with more information later.