PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — After nearly 3 weeks of being closed, the eastbound lanes of I-84 reopened Saturday afternoon. The lanes were reopened just after 1 p.m, about 9 days after the westbound side was reopened.
“It was very frustrating for the truckers out there,” said ODOT Spokesman Don Hamilton. “It was expensive and it was very long term to try to take the detours around there so we are very satisfied they could finally get through going Eastbound today.”
One truck driver echoed Hamilton’s sentiment.
“It’s a blessing to have it open,” said truck driver Rick Gonzales. “It’s so vital, this corridor right here.”
The road was closed in both directions on Sept. 4 after the Eagle Creek Fire began to spread and became more of a threat.
Due to the fire activity at Shellrock Mountain, ODOT has diverted eastbound traffic onto the westbound highway alignment by milepost 52. For a 1.2-mile stretch of road, eastbound and westbound traffic will each travel on one 18-foot wide lane in each direction.
ODOT said the new configuration will be in place for the foreseeable future.
No bicycle traffic will be allowed and the speed limit has been reduced to 50 miles per hour.
While the interstate is open, some ramps and parks remain closed.
- Historic Columbia River Highway, MP 8.7 at Larch Mountain Road: closed, resident access only.Historic Columbia River Highway, MP 8.7 at Larch Mountain Road: closed, resident access only.
- I-84 Exit 28, Bridal Veil: closed, resident access only.
- I-84 Exit 31, Multnomah Falls: closed.
- I-84 Exit 35, Historic Columbia River Highway, Ainsworth interchange open but access to U.S. 30 closed
- Frontage Road–Dodson Road east from Warrendale interchange to John B Yeon State Park: closed, resident access only
- I-84 Exit 40, Bonneville south of interchange: closed
- I-84 Exit 41, Eagle Creek: closed
- State Parks Trail at Cascade Locks to Eagle Creek: closed
- I-84 Exit 56, Viento interchange: pen; north and south access closed
State Parks Open
- Rooster Rock
- Starvation Creek (No access to trails)
- Women’s Forum
State Parks Closed
- John B. Yeon
- HCRH Trail
- Angel’s Rest
- Sheppard’s Dell
- Bridal Veil
- Latourell Falls
- Guy Talbot
- Crown Point and Vista House: closed for the season
According to ODOT, all ramps to and from Cascade Locks are open.