Trump: SCOTUS travel ban decision victory for security

High court will hear the full case beginning in October

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is hailing Monday’s Supreme Court decision on his controversial travel ban as a “clear victory for our national security.”

Trump says in a statement that his “number one responsibility” is to keep the American people safe.

The nation’s highest court on Monday said it would let a limited version of Trump’s ban on travel from six mostly Muslim countries take effect. The ban on visitors from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen can be enforced as long if those visitors lack a “credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States.”

The justices will hear full arguments in the October.

The court did leave one category of foreigners protected, those “with a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States,” the court said in an unsigned opinion.

Trump said last week that the ban would take effect 72 hours after being cleared by courts.

The ban would apply to citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

The Trump administration said the ban was needed to allow an internal review of the screening procedures for visa applicants from those countries.