Autopsy: Gresham dad shot daughters multiple times

The girls were 8 and 11 years old

Police tape surrounds an vehicle after a shooting in Gresham, Ore, Wednesday, April 12, 2017. (AP Photo/Gillian Flaccus)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A man and his two young daughters are dead after a domestic violence situation early Wednesday morning.

Portland police first started investigating the case after the mother of 8-year-old Janet Cortinas-Duran and 11-year-old Jasmine Duran-Cortinas reported that her husband, Jaime Cortinas, and daughters were missing around 12:30 a.m.

Police tape surrounds an vehicle after a shooting in Gresham, Ore, Wednesday, April 12, 2017. A man and his two young daughters have died after police got word he was threatening the girls, leading to a shootout with officers. (AP Photo/Gillian Flaccus)

According to Gresham police, the mother reported that Cortinas, 42, threatened to kill himself and his daughters.

Gresham police found Cortinas’ SUV in a parking lot at NE 162nd Avenue and Glisan Street around 1:45 a.m. He was armed and police said he set fire to his SUV.

Cortinas fired a .32 caliber handgun as officers arrived. Officer Matt Anderson, a 13-year veteran of the Gresham PD also fired his weapon and hit Cortinas multiple times. Those injuries were not fatal.

The Oregon State Medical Examiner said Cortinas died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Not knowing if Cortinas was still a threat, officers raced to the car to rescue the girls, who they believed were in imminent danger, officials told KOIN 6 News.

Officers broke windows to get to the girls, but discovered they were already dead. The Oregon State Medical Examiner said they both died after being shot by their father multiple times. The medical examiner said none of Anderson’s bullets hit the girls.

Officers from Portland and Gresham were involved in a shooting, April 12 2017. (KOIN)

“They (the officers) put their own lives at risk to try and rescue those girls,” an official familiar with the incident said.

The official, who was not able to speak on-the-record about the case, confirmed that life-saving measures were performed on the two girls and their father. All three were pronounced dead on scene.

“Obviously this is a horrible and horrific scene,” Rasmussen said. “Especially for the family and for the paramedics and cops who were not able to [save the girls.]”

According to Gresham police, several officers have minor injuries from the process of getting the children out of the car, but none were injured by gunfire. All officers involved have been placed on administrative leave according to protocol.

Officials from the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office, Portland Police Association and other branches of local governments in Gresham and Portland responded to the scene.

Brent Weisberg, Lisa Balick and Andrew Dymburt contributed to this report.