N Clackamas School District building catches fire

The fire was under control within 30 minutes

A North Clackamas School District building caught fire Tuesday, March 21, 2017. (Tony Rogers)

MILWAUKIE, Ore. (KOIN) — A North Clackamas School District facility operations building caught fire Tuesday night, Clackamas Fire District #1 said.

A worker who was at the building on the 12000 block of Fuller Road called 911 immediately after the fire broke out around 8 p.m. Crews arrived and it was quickly upgraded to a 2-alarm fire due to the size of the building and the amount of flames.

Firefighters searched for victims and quickly doused the flames with water. They were able to get the fire under control within 30 minutes. No injuries were reported.

Investigators determined the fire was caused by gasoline vapors venting from pressurized portable fueling equipment. They said vapors from the equipment drifted up to a pilot light on the gas ceiling furnace, causing it to burst into flames.

Tools, equipment and the school district’s maintenance shop were heavily damaged, but a fire wall protected an office space and carpentry shop nextdoor.

Fire officials did not release the total cost of damages.