Kids escape safely after Beaverton kitchen fire

3 kids, parent escape cooking fire around midnight

A cooking fire damaged a home on Berthold Street in Beaverton, November 29 2016. (TVF&R)
A cooking fire damaged a home on Berthold Street in Beaverton, November 29 2016. (TVF&R)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Three kids and one of their parents were safe early Tuesday morning after escaping a house fire.

Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue officials say the fire started in the kitchen of the home in the 13000 block of Berthold Street. When they arrived around midnight they found heavy smoke throughout the house and flames coming from the kitchen.

The Red Cross assisted the family.

TVF&R released recommendations on how to avoid cooking fires, which are the leading cause of residential fires:

* Keep a close eye on what you’re cooking.
* Never leave food unattended on the stovetop.
* Heat cooking oil slowly and never leave it unattended. Turn down the heat if it begins to smoke.
* Keep combustibles away from the stove, and keep your cooking area clean, including the exhaust fan, oven and stovetop.
* Keep a large lid close at hand in case of a pan fire.
* If the fire is still in the pan or oven and has not spread to nearby counters or cabinets, you may be able to extinguish it yourself.
* If you experience a cooking fire, and the fire is large or appears to be growing, do not attempt to extinguish it. Leave the house quickly and call 911 from a cellphone or neighbor’s house.

To extinguish a pan or oven fire:

* Put a lid on it. The easiest way to extinguish a small pan fire is with a pan lid. Turn off the burner and carefully slide a pan lid over the pan from the side. The lid will smother the fire. Do not move the pan until the fire is completely extinguished and the pan is cool. If you do not have a pan lid, you may also use a baking sheet or pizza pan.
* Use a fire extinguisher only if the fire is small and has not spread outside the pan. The discharge of a portable fire extinguisher lasts between eight and 10 seconds.
* Shut the door on oven or microwave fires and turn off the heat.

Never transfer a burning pan from the stovetop to the sink or out the back door. The fire may grow in size and burn you or spread to countertops. Also, never pour water on a grease fire. The flames will “splash,” causing the fire to spread and likely result in burns to your body.