EUGENE, Ore. (AP) – A judge has cleared a former University of Oregon student of wrongdoing in the death of a fellow student who suffered an overdose at his apartment in 2014.
The Register-Guard reports prosecutors had tried to blame Kevin Christopher Post, a pre-med student at the time, for Cody Bennett’s death. They argued that Post was responsible because he had given Bennett an unregulated, anti-anxiety drug shortly before he overdosed.
A judge determined Thursday that prosecutors failed to prove Post’s drug dealing caused the fatal accident.
A medical examiner had ruled Bennett died from a mixture of cocaine and alcohol that he consumed before arriving at Post’s apartment.
The 25-year-old Post is charged in a separate case and pleaded guilty last week to possessing and selling LSD and psychedelic mushrooms.