Teen charged in N Portland murder

Marquis Stephion Taylor found dead September 19

Marquis Taylor was killed by a single gunshot wound, September 19, 2016 (Undated photo released by PPB)
Marquis Taylor was killed by a single gunshot wound, September 19, 2016 (Undated photo released by PPB)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – Homicide detectives have arrested the person who they believe shot and killed 18-year-old Marquis Stephion Taylor.

Officials tell KOIN 6 News that Richard Jay Anderson, III, 19, was taken into custody on Friday on a warrant that charges him with one count of murder.

Anderson was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center shortly before 6 p.m. Friday. During his booking process, Anderson – who goes by the nickname of “Ritchie” – told court staff that he is a transient, according to records we’ve obtained.

The investigation began on September 19 when police got reports of gunfire being heard in the area of North Willis Blvd. and North Herford Avenue. When officers arrived, they located Taylor.

Court documents show that Anderson confessed to police and told them that he shot and killed Taylor. When he was arrested, Anderson was “very emotional” and indicated that he had two firearms inside his vehicle.

When detectives started their investigation, they found four young men who all claimed to be friends of Taylor. The men told detectives that they were with Taylor before the shooting, but none of them gave any information that pinpointed the shooter.

Detectives also tracked down a neighbor who was in his driveway unloading his vehicle near the scene of the shooting. That neighbor told police shortly after the shooting, he saw two “kids” running, and that one of the “kids” yelled “Rich shot him!”

The neighbor told police that he had seen a metallic silver or tan small car drive out of the parking lot for Cesar Chavez School.

Detectives reviewed the phone belonging to one of the four men who was with Taylor before the shooting. Police found a message exchange between the friend’s phone and a Facebook screenname with the name “Stackz.”

Taylor’s mother told police that the “Stackz” Facebook screenname belonged to Anderson. They also learned that “Richie” also drives a silver Mercedes Benz sedan.

Detectives attempted to look up Anderson’s Facebook page but it appeared the page had been recently deleted.

On Oct. 6, 911 dispatchers took a call from a close associate of Anderson. That person told police that Anderson had confessed to the homicide.

According to the person’s information, Taylor tried to rob Anderson of marijuana and that Anderson had been hiding out in Lincoln City.

Anderson appeared in court on Monday and pled not guilty.

An autopsy determined that Taylor died of a single gunshot wound.

The bureau’s Gang Enforcement Team (GET) responded to assist with the investigation, though initial information does not appear to show a direct gang connection.

Record show that in 2105, Anderson was charged with third-degree theft. The case was ultimately dismissed.

“For investigative reasons, Anderson’s booking photo is not being released at this time,” police said in a prepared statement.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Anthony Merrill at 503-823-4033, anthony.merrill@portlandoregon.gov; or Detective Vince Cui at 503-823-0449, vince.cui@portlandoregon.gov.