PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Several woman and girls reported that a man sexually touched them in public on Sept. 22 in Salem.
The reports said the suspect rode up to the victims on a bike and “grabbed them in sexual areas.” None of the victims were physically injured, the Salem Police Department said.
The incidents happened Thursday evening near NE Lancaster Dr. between NE Market St. and NE Silverton St.
The man is described as Hispanic or Asian with a short and thin build and he was wearing a red hooded sweatshirt and jeans.
Salem police think there may have been other victims and ask anyone with information to call Detective Kris Knox at 503.540.2346.
The department offered these tips to protect yourself from attacks:
- When out and about, keep your head up and make eye contact with passersby. Walking with confidence can be a powerful deterrent to a would-be criminal.
- Know the area where you walk and have an escape route planned, such as to where you will run if you are attacked.
- Make a commotion and yell for help. Never be embarrassed to cause a ruckus to get the attention of others for assistance.
- You have a right to protect yourself from an attack. Don’t be afraid to defend yourself.
- Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. Leave the situation and call for help.
Be a good witness. Use all of your senses to gather information about the attacker. The more details you can provide to the police, the more likely it is we can apprehend the suspect.