Unattended BBQ sparks huge flames in NE Portland

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to put out the flames

A joint commercial and residential building caught fire in NE Portland, September 11, 2016. (Kenia Gonzales)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — An unattended grill caught fire in a joint residential and commercial building in NE Portland Sunday night, fire officials said.

Firefighters quickly arrived at Glisan Commons on NE 100th Avenue after residents called 911 to report flames that were 12-15 feet high.

The unattended grill was on a balcony in the commercial part of the building. Firefighters said the incident didn’t affect the residential portion of the building, although tenants were temporarily evacuated as a safety precaution.

“I was actually surprised because when it first was broadcast it was just a barbecue on fire and when I came out the trees were on fire,” witness Stephanie Mooers said.

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to put out the flames.

The investigation is ongoing.

Comments are closed.