WASHOUGAL, Wash. (KOIN) — A home near Washougal burned to the ground Friday night.
No people or pets were inside the home, so no one was harmed, but Rick Knapp with East County Fire and Rescue said the house is a total loss.
Crews were called out around 7:15 p.m. but the fire was still burning hours later. Due to the extent of the fire, crews had to take a defensive position, preventing the fire from spreading.
“There’s not much we can salvage at this point, so to protect our safety all we can do is basically control it and let it continue on and burn to the ground,” Knapp said.
There were also propane tanks about 10 feet away from the house that had to be kept safe from the heat and flames, which Knapp says they did successfully.
Another obstacle in fighting this fire was a lack of local fire hydrants in the rural area, so they had to conserve water in case the fire did spread.