Burglary charges dropped against St. Helens man

St. Helens' Police thought they had the right suspect

A manhunt in St. Helens began after a homeowner and a burglar fought at 125 S. 16th Street, May 26, 2016 (KOIN)
A manhunt in St. Helens began after a homeowner and a burglar fought at 125 S. 16th Street, May 26, 2016 (KOIN)

ST. HELENS, Ore. (KOIN) — Burglary and assault charges against a St. Helens man have been dropped.

Ross Clark was arrested June 3 for a break in and assault that happened last month.

The victim, Rob Swanberg, helped police compile a sketch, and a few days later, Clark was questioned.

“One of the investigators went down to the jail, sat down and interviewed him and he admitted to it. He gave details about that burglary that we felt only the suspect should know,” says Captain Terry Moss.

Turns out, not only was Clark in jail already when questioned about the crime, he was in jail the night Swanberg’s home was broken into. Clark was in jail on an unrelated matter.

“As more information comes forward, the investigation continues, we find out that there’s no way he could have done it if he was in another community, we have witnesses to demonstrate that he didn’t do it,” Moss tells KOIN 6 News.

Meanwhile, the suspect is still on the loose, which worries Swanberg.

“I’m worried for the rest of the community, I’m worried for the person across the street, the person down the block,” he says.

The suspect is described as a white man about 30-years-old. He was about 5’9″ with a medium build and short beard. Anyone with information should call St. Helens Police.

A composite sketch of a St. Helens burglar, June 2, 2016 (ST. HELENS PD)
A composite sketch of a St. Helens burglar, June 2, 2016 (ST. HELENS PD)

 

Comments are closed.