PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) -– A caregiver is accused of writing an “IOU” note to a vulnerable adult whom she reportedly stole nearly $10,000 from, police said.
Ebony M. Hardaway was arrested Tuesday on charges of first-degree criminal mistreatment and 4 counts of first-degree theft.
According to a probable cause statement:
- The investigation started in late January.
- An administrator with a Portland care facility told police a resident had been stolen from.
- The victim had a medical condition that limits his ability to communicate.
- The victim gave Hardaway access to his debit card.
- She was supposed to make one transaction.
- Instead, Hardaway used the bank card to make purchases at stores, pay her insurance and moving expenses.
The total amount Hardaway is accused of taking is $8,641.95.
The victim, according to court documents, told investigators Hardaway wrote an “IOU” note, stating that she owed him $3,330.
Hardaway appeared in court on Tuesday. She has been prohibited from entering care facilities while pending trial.