Cell phones, tablets don’t make good bedfellows

The batteries can overheat and start to melt

Tyrell Coley, 21, holds his iPhone displaying his Twitter account in the Queens borough of New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
In this Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011 picture, Tyrell Coley, 21, holds his iPhone displaying his Twitter account in the Queens borough of New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Almost half of us, including teenagers, are doing something at night that is putting us at risk for fire. We’re leaving our cell phone or computer on the bed while it is plugged in and charging.

There are several instances around the country where charging electronics have started a bed fire, including in Texas when a 13-year-old girl woke up smelling smoke. Her phone was smoldering underneath her pillow. The phone was completely melted, the bedding and mattress burned.

We’ve all found ourselves in this situation, checking messages or emails one last time before bed, or falling asleep while watching a movie. That is why KOIN 6 News tested the heat of devices left charging and on top of a bed. Lisa Balick files this video report.

 

 

Comments are closed.