PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Roofing contractors working on a home in North Portland Tuesday morning rescued an elderly man who was inside a nearby home that caught fire, authorities said.
Jeff Kruggel and Steven Kenney were working on a roof when they noticed smoke coming from a home on the 9600 block of N Central Street at around 11:30 a.m.
“We saw a lady come out the back freaking out,” Kenney explained. “We could see the smoke so we jumped down.”
They asked the woman if someone was inside. She reportedly answered yes and took off down the road. That’s when the contractors said they decided to enter the home.
“We jumped in [the house] and I could see the guy’s legs so we just got him out of there and got him into the truck,” Kenney said.
A 77-year-old man was treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Rich Tyler with Portland Fire & Rescue said the fire was primarily contained in the basement, so the only thing the contractors encountered was smoke.
The fire was reportedly caused by electrical failure.