Fake tax returns growing ID theft issue

The IRS will contact you by mail only

Identity theft (File)
Identity theft (File)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN 6) — Identity theft is a growing problem, and sometimes ID thieves file fraudulent tax returns for refund money.

If someone files a fake tax return with your ID, the IRS will contact you by mail — not by phone, email, text or social media. The real IRS letter will inform you two tax returns with your Social Security number were filed.

If this happens to you, experts recommend the following steps:

— Contact the IRS directly immediately
— Contact your bank and credit card companies and the credit bureaus
— Get a copy of your credit report free from the three credit bureaus
— File and ID Theft report with the Federal Trade Commission
— File a police report

In a release, AARP said they set up a Fraud Watch Network website and a Hotline at 1.877.908.3360 for people to get help and questions answered.

Comments are closed.