Gay rights leader’s ex-boyfriend also arrested

Bean, Lawson fell out over hidden camera discovery, source says

Terrence Patrick Bean, left, and Kiah Loy Lawson, right, shown in jail booking photos. (MCSO)
Terrence Patrick Bean, left, and Kiah Loy Lawson, right, shown in jail booking photos. (MCSO)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN 6) — A second arrest has been made in connection with the ongoing criminal investigation into Terrence “Terry” Bean, a well-known political donor and gay rights supporter.

Law enforcement sources confirm Kiah Loy Lawson, 25, was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center Thursday morning after being taken into custody by detectives with the Portland Police Bureau’s Sex Crimes Unit.

A Lane County grand jury issued a secret indictment and warrant for Lawson’s arrest.

The indictment lists two counts of third-degree sodomy and one count of third-degree sexual abuse. If Lawson is able to post bail, he will be released and will be given a court date to appear in Lane County to be arraigned. If he is not able to post bail, he will be transported to Lane County by the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.

On Wednesday, detectives with Portland Police arrested Bean at his Southwest Portland home.

Sgt. Pete Simpson said in a prepared statement Wednesday that Bean was arrested on allegations stemming from a 2013 incident involving a juvenile male, though a law enforcement source has confirmed the case surrounds more than that incident. Bean has posted bail and is no longer in custody.

His attorney, Kristen Winemiller, said in a statement Wednesday that it is Bean who has been victimized, and that Bean “look[s] forward to the opportunity to clear his name.”

Sources familiar with the investigation tell KOIN 6 News that Lawson and Bean had been in a relationship when Lawson allegedly discovered a hidden camera in Bean’s home. Bean accused Lawson of trying to extort him and they did start negotiations over a settlement that never happened.

Earlier this year, Lawson filed a restraining order against Bean, who he said had been abusive. Lawson rescinded the order on May 6, a little more than a month after the initial filing.

That same day, Bean filed a restraining order against Lawson, claiming similar abuses in addition to allegations Lawson had been stalking him and stealing from him to support a methamphetamine habit.

“He is smoking meth and appears to be fixated on me, and on gaining access to the money to support his habit. I believe that he will resort to extreme violence, and threats of violence, to get what he wants,” Bean wrote.

Though both orders are now closed, each depicts an altercation in February that ended with police involvement. Both parties stated violence occurred at Lawson’s condo, which he appeared to be renting out from Bean. Both allege they were hit by the other.

Neither Bean nor Lawson were arrested after the fight.

A supporter

Former Gov. Barbara Roberts told KOIN 6 News by phone that Bean “always stepped up and given more than his share when it comes to causes he believes in.”

Roberts added Bean has always been generous with his time and his money for the causes he believe in.

“When somebody’s looking for a donation for a good cause, they call Terry,” she said. “He succeeds at what he does because he really believes in whatever he’s working for.”

“I think he’s saved a lot of lives of people who are struggling with the realization they might be gay and can be suicidal from dealing with it,” Roberts added.

Brent Weisberg and Tim Becker contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s