MILWAUKIE, Ore. (KOIN 6) — Five people escaped a burning Milwaukie home early Sunday morning that spread from the back deck to the attic.
The fire at 8111 SE Thiessen Road broke out around 2:30 a.m., authorities said in a release. The spread of the fire made it difficult for the crews to battle. Holes were cut in the roof to allow the heat and smoke to escape.
Investigators determined the fire started from a barbecue the owners had Saturday night. There was no working smoke detector inside the house, which suffered about $50,000 damage.