Murder suspect jailed after stabbing, standoff

Wayne Dinayog Nabehet

Wayne Dinayog Nabehet, 47, shown in a jail booking photo (MCSO)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN 6) – A 47-year-old man arrested by homicide detectives after one person was stabbed to death and another victim suffered life-threatening injuries made his first court appearance Friday afternoon.

North Precinct officers responding to a residence in the 4700 block of Northeast 96th Avenue on the report of a stabbing, July 31, 2014. (KOIN 6)
North Precinct officers responding to a residence in the 4700 block of Northeast 96th Avenue on the report of a stabbing, July 31, 2014. (KOIN 6)

Wayne Dinayog Nabehet appeared in Multnomah County Circuit Court after he was booked into the downtown detention center at 1:36 a.m. Friday.

He faces one count each of murder and first-degree assault. Because of the murder charge, Nabehet is not allowed bail until he appears before a judge for a hearing.

He allegedly killed a 55-year-old man, and seriously injured 65-year-old David Karl Kidder in the incident. All three of the men lived in the same residence, police said. Kidder remains in hospital and is expected to survive.

The case will be reviewed by the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office, officials said. Prosecutors could add more charges later following a grand jury’s review.

The investigation started Thursday afternoon when police were called to a home in the 4700 block of Northeast 96th Avenue on reports of a stabbing.

Police arrived and learned that a 65-year-old man had been stabbed. He was transported to a local hospital with injuries that were described as life threatening.

The Special Emergency Reaction Team (SERT) and Crisis Negotiation Team (CNT) were called out to the scene to help patrol officers because Nabehet refused to come out of the residence. As the teams were responding, Nabehet was taken into custody, police said.

Officers entered the home and found a 55-year-old man deceased.

The co-owner of the Southeast Portland company Nabehet told officials where he worked spoke to KOIN 6 News Friday morning by phone, but declined to comment.

Nabehet’s former sister-in-law told KOIN that she had last seen him in April. She said she had heard about the allegations, but did not about the circumstances. She said she did not know the victim who was killed.

Nabehet, who was born in the Philippines, has no known criminal history in Multnomah County, court records show. He has lived at the address where the homicide occurred for at least 8 years, records show.

An autopsy is scheduled for Friday morning, officials confirmed.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call homicide detectives at 503.823.0400.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s