PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN 6) — Cooling centers will open throughout the area to help those who need help to deal with the summer heatwave.
In Multnomah County, the cooling center system will open Sunday, July 13, and are expected to stay open at least through July 17.
- Hollywood Senior Center, 1820 NE 40th Ave. Portland, 503.288.8803.
Sunday 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Meals on Wheels People (Elm Court) 1032 SW Main St., Portland, 503.953.8204: Sunday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Pioneer United Methodist Church, 7528 N. Charleston Ave., Portland.
Tuesday and Wednesday 4 p.m – 8 p.m.
- Ambleside Meals on Wheels People, Multnomah County East Building, 600 NE 8th St., Gresham, 503.988.3840.
Sunday, 4 p.m to 8 p.m.
Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Cooling centers for elders are activated when the forecast calls for 95 degree heat for three day or more in a row.
Battle Ground, Washington
A cooling center will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, July 14 through Wednesday, July 16.
- Community Center, 912 East Main Street
More information: 360.342.5380
Tips to beat the heat