Man dies after careless smoking sets apt ablaze

Five others displaced in Cascade Village fire

One person was killed in an early morning apartment fire in Southeast Portland July 11, 2014. (KOIN 6)
One person was killed in an early morning apartment fire in Southeast Portland July 11, 2014. (KOIN 6)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN 6) — A 50-year-old man died when careless smoking set his apartment on fire and forced fiver others out of their homes.

The fire at Cascade Village Apartments, 2530 SE 125th near Division, began just after 3 a.m., officials said. Fire was visible from the second-story window when crews arrived.

Firefighters rescued a woman and her 4-year-old son from one unit when they arrived.

They also found the man, whose name has not yet been released. Despite efforts to revive him, the man died at the scene.

The fire was contained to just one apartment at the 8-unit complex, but five residents were forced out. The Red Cross is helping them.

Officials said smoke alarms went off in other apartments — the smoke entered through open windows, fire officials said — and there was a working smoke alarm in the unit where the man was.

But he was in the living room and the smoke alarm was in the bedroom.

 

KOIN 6 News @LisabKOIN reporting.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s