June 14 marks 3 unsolved Portland murders

A Portland Police Bureau squad car shown in an undated file photo at a crime scene. (KOIN)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN 6) — June 14 appears to be a day in which history seems to repeat itself with Portland murders going cold.

On June 14, 1984 – a Korean War Veteran was found dead floating in the Willamette River by two men who were standing along the shoreline near Northwest Davis and what is now Northwest Natio Parkway.

Portland firefighters from nearby Station 1 responded around 3:30 pm that afternoon and, along with police, pulled Richard Tauriainen, 53, from the cold water.

An autopsy, police said, later revealed that he had died as the result of traumatic injuries.

Tauriainen was a veteran of the Korean War. Police said the war had affected him; he became homeless and lost contact with his family.

Tauriainen has been described as balding with a full mustache and graying beard at the time of his death.

Nine years later, detectives with the Portland Police Bureau would again be called out to investigate a  man’s murder, and the case, too, would go cold.

At approximately 6:30 a.m. on the morning of June 14, 1993, a man driving to work saw what appeared to be a man sleeping in the bushes near Northeast 33rd and Marine Drive, police said.

The man drove down to the location of the body, police said, and saw that the victim was dead.

Warren James Ogden, 44, had died as the result of apparent stab wounds, the State medical examiner found. Ogden was last seen just after midnight by an acquaintance in the area of Northeast Stafford and Rodney, police said.

Warren Ogden, shown in an undated photo, provided by Portland Police.
Warren Ogden, shown in an undated photo, provided by Portland Police.

Ogden’s late model, dark blue Honda Accord was found later that day in the area of Northeast 8th and Holman Street, police said.

Police said Ogden was unmarried, lived alone, and had no record of criminal activity or drug use. Detectives learned, through several people that Ogden dated multiple women at a time, some he met through dating services and personal advertisements.

The murder remains unsolved.

Two year’s after Ogden’s murder, some of the same officers who responded to his death, were again called to investigate another murder.

On June 14, 1995, a concerned neighbor called 911 around 12:10 p.m. regarding her neighbor being in agony on the 3300 block of Southeast 143rd Avenue, police said.

Officers arrived to find Eric Jordan, 32, had been shot and was lying on the porch of his residence, police said. He died shortly after at the scene.

Detectives learned Jordan worked for a drywall company, but mainly supported himself through his marijuana grow.

Officials said Jordan was last seen entering his residence a few minutes prior to emerging wounded from the residence.

If you or anyone you know has any information regarding the murder of these three men, or any unsolved felony crime, you are encouraged to contact CrimeStoppers at 503-823-HELP.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s