Grant Acord admits charges in school bomb plot

CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP) — An Oregon teenager accused of building bombs and plotting an attack on his high school in Albany has admitted to the charges in juvenile court.

Seventeen-year-old Grant Acord appeared before a judge in Corvallis on Monday. He admitted to six counts of manufacture of a destructive device and two counts of unlawful use of a weapon.

A judge sent Acord to the Oregon Youth Authority, which can hold him until his 25th birthday.

In a deal with prosecutors, adult charges of attempted aggravated murder were dropped.

Police arrested the teen last year, saying he wrote detailed plans to “shot and throw bombs throughout the school,” and then kill himself.

Authorities discovered two pipe bombs, two Molotov cocktails and at least two Drano bombs hidden beneath the floorboards in Acord’s bedroom.

Mairianne Fox, Acord’s mother, released the following statement Wednesday:

“I would like to thank those in the community who have supported our family over this last year.

“I am grateful that Grant has been charged as a juvenile and will receive the additional counseling and medical services he so greatly needs.

“Lastly, I’m encouraged to see studies such as the one just launched by Stanford University to further research PANDAS and PANS. My hope is that           by understanding this disorder the heartache we have experience might be avoided for other families.”

The case

He was arrested May 23, 2013 and charged with attempted aggravated murder, unlawful manufacture and possession of a destructive device and unlawful use of a weapon.

The probable cause affidavit filed by Albany police said investigators serving a search warrant at his mother’s home found two pipe bombs, two Molotov cocktails, and at least two Drano bombs in a hidden compartment underneath the floor in his bedroom.

Grant Acord, 17, seen in his booking photo at the Linn/Benton Juvenile Detention Center on May 24, 2010.
Grant Acord, 17, seen in his booking photo at the Linn/Benton Juvenile Detention Center on May 24, 2010.

“These were functional explosive devices readily able to cause significant injuries; death, destruction of property,” Albany Police Capt. Eric Carter told reporters on May 28, 2013.

Acord, 17 at the time of his arrest, called himself the “Russian grim reaper,” and possessed extensive attack plans and diagrams designed to carry out what he termed “mass murder,” according to court documents released at that time.

Acord was arrested May 23 at his father’s home on the 2400 block of Northwest Violet Street. Acord’s parents are divorced. The bombs were found at the home of his mother, located at 2611 NW Raymond Ct. No bombs were found at his father’s home.

Along with the bombs, investigators also found several handwritten journals, typed documents and detailed diagrams designed to carry out an attack at his school.

The court documents allege that he kept a printed list of weapons and gear that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold reportedly used to carry out the Columbine High School massacre in April of 1999 that killed 13 people.

Some of the items on that list were checked off, including “3 Drano Bombs, Molatovs Bottle and Gas, Pipebombs Shrapnel, Propane Tank, Duffle Bag, Napalm/gas mixture,” court documents read. Another handwritten page, titled “’I NEED’ List & Costs” contained items including a Hi-Point 995 rifle, and a Mossberg 500 pump-action shotgun.

Mom: He has a disorder

Acord’s mother claimed that her son suffered from PANDAS.

PANDAS is an acronym for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections.

His defense

In early April, Acord’s defense attorney Jennifer Nash filed paperwork in Benton County Circuit Court asking that all the evidence obtained by police, including interviews, be excluded from his trial.

The attorney said Acord was not read his Miranda rights and that the stop by police was illegal.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

blog comments powered by Disqus