Dozens protest against teen sexuality conference

Dozens of protesters lined the street of Seaside on Monday to take a stand against an adolescent sexuality conference, April 7, 2014. (KOIN)
Dozens of protesters lined the street of Seaside on Monday to take a stand against an adolescent sexuality conference, April 7, 2014. (KOIN)

SEASIDE, Ore. (KOIN) — Dozens of protesters lined the street of Seaside on Monday to take a stand against an adolescent sexuality conference.

The 37-year-old conference has been taking place at the Seaside Convention Center for the last 20 years, but some residents said they strongly disagree with its message to youth, stating education should be locally controlled and not government mandated.

However, Brad Victor, a spokesperson for Teen Pregnancy Task Force, the sponsor of the conference, said the conference focused on more than just sex education and that 75 percent of the attendees were adults with the other 25 percent being high school students who had permission from a parental guardian to attend.

The spokesperson said the conference also touched on topics like alcohol and drug and tobacco use with its main purpose concentrated on helping younger populations live healthy lives.

“We really think the message that they are bringing to these children is not value oriented. It’s about helping youth make good choices on their own personal sexuality. It’s about making good decisions about their relationships; it’s about giving them skills to just anything that has to deal with health,” said Victor.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s