Candle fire causes $50K damage to NE Portland house

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — An unattended candle started a fire that sent six people from their Northeast Portland home early Thursday morning and caused about $50,000 damage.

The fire broke out just before 4 a.m. in the 700 block of NE 91st Avenue, officials said. Some of the residents tried to go back in to get their pets, but firefighters called the police to help keep them out of the house.

The flames were mostly in the basement but spread up, and crews initially fought the fire from the outside.

A candle started this fire that caused $50,000 damage to a house in the 700 block of NE 91st Avenue in Portland, March 27, 2014 (PF&R photographer Dick Harris)
A candle started this fire that caused $50,000 damage to a house in the 700 block of NE 91st Avenue in Portland, March 27, 2014 (PF&R photographer Dick Harris)

“You’re putting yourself in extremely hot conditions, said Fire Battalion Chief Todd Keathley.

“Any time we feel like we’re putting our people in a compromised position we’re going to back them out and apply water from the exterior until we can get back inside and put the fire out,” he said.

It is unclear whether any of the pets in the house were injured.

Officials said candles cause more than 13,000 home fires each year.

blog comments powered by Disqus