Carbon monoxide chases family from rental home

A Portland fire truck, April 27, 2013 (KOIN 6 News)
A Portland fire truck, April 27, 2013 (KOIN 6 News)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A family of four who just moved into a rental home in Southeast Portland escaped harm when the carbon monoxide alarm sounded twice within 15 minutes.

The Swain family called 911 around 9:30 p.m. Saturday after hearing the alarm. Portland firefighters detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide almost immediately.

Crews called Northwest Natural for help, and the company shut down the natural gas supply to the house at 1100 SE 84th Avenue.

An investigation revealed the likely source was improper venting of the exhaust from the water heater and furnace.

The two adults and two children plus their pet cat are fine.

Having a carbon monoxide detector installed is the law in Oregon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s