Sandy Hook voters: Tear down that school

School Shooting-Survivors
FILE - In this photo provided by the Newtown Bee, Connecticut State Police lead a line of children from the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. on Friday, Dec. 14, 2012 after a shooting at the school. Hundreds of children at the school that day survived, but the horrors have been especially difficult to overcome for some of the 6- and 7-year-olds who witnessed the bloodbath, even as the school year resumed in autumn of 2013. (AP Photo/Newtown Bee, Shannon Hicks, File)

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP/KOIN) — Newtown voters have accepted a $50 million grant from the state of Connecticut to build a new Sandy Hook Elementary School, the site of last year’s school massacre.

Navy Yard Shooting Building's Future

FILE – In this Sept. 18, 2013 file photo, employees of the Washington Navy Yard line up to enter through a gate two days after a gunman killed twelve people and was killed himself inside. The place names are sadly familiar: Newtown, Aurora, Virginia Tech, Nickel Mines, Littleton. But the buildings where those mass shootings occurred have been demolished, closed or altered to soften painful associations, especially among survivors. As the Navy ponders the future of Washington Navy Yard Building 197, an expert who helped with the disposition of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., says there’s no easy answer — but community input is critical. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File)

The unofficial results Saturday were 4,504 for the grant offer and 558 against.

The vote was essentially a formality since a task force of Newtown officials decided in May in favor of a plan to tear down the school and build a new one. Sandy Hook students have been attending classes at a school in neighboring Monroe.

State lawmakers had set aside the money to help the town build a new school to replace the one where a gunman killed 26 people last December. Connecticut officials said the state was willing to allocate all of the $50 million to the new school.

The town is coming up on the one-year anniversary of the mass shooting that killed 20 children and six adults. Plans for a new school are still in progress and they hope to have a new school in place by January 2016.

– The Associated Press originated this report. Details in the final paragraph were added by KOIN.com staff.

Connecticut School Shooting

FILE – A school bus rolls towards a memorial for victims of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

blog comments powered by Disqus