Small fire breaks out in Chapman Elementary

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – Firefighters were called to Chapman Elementary School in the Northwest District early Wednesday morning for a small fire in a second-story classroom.

A small fire broke out in a second-story classroom in Chapman Elementary School in Northwest Portland. Wednesday, Aug. 28, 2013. (Douglas Key/KOIN 6 News)
(Douglas Key/KOIN 6 News)

The fire broke out before 6:20 a.m. at the school located on Northwest 26th Avenue. Lt. Rich Tyler, spokesperson for Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R), reported that crews were working to ensure it was contained to the classroom and did not spread.

School Principal Scott Choate said the fire occurred in a 5th grade classroom. A teacher spotted the smoke and a janitor pulled the alarm.

According to Choate, the fire will not delay the start of school, slated for Sept. 4. However, the classroom where the fire occurred will likely not be used. Wednesday was the first official day back to school for teachers.

Christine Miles, spokesperson for Portland Public Schools, told KOIN that investigators determined the fire was sparked by oily rags in a garbage can. It was not immediately confirmed if the fire was accidental in nature. A teacher had been working in the classroom the night before.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s