PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — It has been another scary day for the 12-year-old girl burned when hand sanitizer set her on fire at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital earlier this year.
On her way to burn camp Sunday, Ireland Lane had what is being described as a “medical emergency.” And her flight was diverted.
Sunday’s scare in the air was just the latest chapter for a girl who has already been through so much.
Her story was one that grabbed national headlines: 12-year-old Ireland Lane, already a cancer survivor, was in her bed at Portland’s Doernbecher Children’s Hospital when a mix of hospital-provided hand sanitizer, olive oil and static electricity set her on fire. (Note that the chief medical officer for Oregon Health and Science University, which oversees Doernbecher, Dr. Chuck Kilo, has said the fire marshal’s report does not blame Doernbecher for the fire.)
Four months later, and now on the road to recovery, Ireland boarded an Alaska Airlines flight — heading to the burn camp in California. Ireland’s dad, Stephen Lane, said this camp is a way for her to bond with other girls who have been through burns.
“They have yoga and mud baths and massages,” Lane said, “and they just get completely pampered for an entire week.”
But in the air, flight attendants thought Ireland was suffering a seizure — and the plane made an emergency landing in Reno, Nevada.
In Reno, Ireland was rushed to a hospital. She was given this diagnosis:
“They’re pseudo seizures. They’re triggered by stress,” Lane told KOIN 6 News. “She’s been through so much trauma that her mind can’t handle any kind of stressful situation and this was her first trip by herself on a plane.”
The 12-year-old was given the “all clear” and flew back to Portland to get on a new plane to head to the California camp once again.
“When they said, ‘As long as she’s fine they’ll put her back on the plane, and she can continue her trip,’ then Ireland was much happier,” Lane said.
Related story on KOIN.com: