New ‘scare in the air’ for hand-sanitizer burn victim

6-23-13-hand sanitizer burn victim
Ireland Lane in an undated family photo, as seen on KOIN 6 News.

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — It has been another scary day for the 12-year-old girl burned when hand sanitizer set her on fire at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital earlier this year.

On her way to burn camp Sunday, Ireland Lane had what is being described as a “medical emergency.” And her flight was diverted.

Sunday’s scare in the air was just the latest chapter for a girl who has already been through so much.

Her story was one that grabbed national headlines: 12-year-old Ireland Lane, already a cancer survivor, was in her bed at Portland’s Doernbecher Children’s Hospital when a mix of hospital-provided hand sanitizer, olive oil and static electricity set her on fire. (Note that the chief medical officer for Oregon Health and Science University, which oversees Doernbecher, Dr. Chuck Kilo, has said the fire marshal’s report does not blame Doernbecher for the fire.)

6-23-13-Stephen Lane-FILE
FILE – Stephen Lane talks to KOIN 6 News after a mix of hospital-provided hand sanitizer, olive oil and static electricity set his daughter on fire: “It’s horrible, I can’t get it out of my head most of the time,” he said at the time. (KOIN 6 News)

Four months later, and now on the road to recovery, Ireland boarded an Alaska Airlines flight — heading to the burn camp in California. Ireland’s dad, Stephen Lane, said this camp is a way for her to bond with other girls who have been through burns.

“They have yoga and mud baths and massages,” Lane said, “and they just get completely pampered for an entire week.”

But in the air, flight attendants thought Ireland was suffering a seizure — and the plane made an emergency landing in Reno, Nevada.

In Reno, Ireland was rushed to a hospital. She was given this diagnosis:

They’re pseudo seizures. They’re triggered by stress,” Lane told KOIN 6 News. “She’s been through so much trauma that her mind can’t handle any kind of stressful situation and this was her first trip by herself on a plane.”

The 12-year-old was given the “all clear” and flew back to Portland to get on a new plane to head to the California camp once again.

“When they said, ‘As long as she’s fine they’ll put her back on the plane, and she can continue her trip,’ then Ireland was much happier,” Lane said.

Related story on

[lin_video src=×9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1372041265&height=338&page_count=5&pf_id=9621&show_title=1&va_id=4110886&width=650&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=650 height=338 div_id=videoplayer-1372041265 type=script]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s