Pool heater cited in Longview couple’s hotel death

N.C. hotel deaths
Daryl and Shirley Jenkins (courtesy photo, as seen on KOIN 6 News)

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina police point to a faulty pool water heater as the source of carbon monoxide that killed an 11-year-old boy last weekend and a couple who slept in the same hotel room about two months earlier.

Boone police said Wednesday that plumbing investigators called in to look through the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza pointed to the water heater below room 225 as the source of the killer gas.

Police say the exhaust system for the pool water heater was “deficient.”

The gas is being blamed for the death of Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., on Saturday.

That was nearly two months after carbon monoxide in the same room killed 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins of Longview, Wash.

KOIN.com’s previous coverage:

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s