Top brass orders Army sex-assault investigation

Chuck Hagel
Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel on the steps of the Pentagon in Washington, Thursday, May 2, 2013. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is ordering the Army to fully investigate claims that multiple heads of the Army’s sex-assault-prevention program aren’t practicing what they’re preaching.

The Army says the coordinator of a sexual assault prevention program at Fort Hood, Texas, is under investigation for “abusive sexual contact” and other alleged misconduct. He has been suspended from all duties.

The Army said a sergeant first class, whose name was not released, is accused of pandering, abusive sexual contact, assault and maltreatment of subordinates.

He had been assigned as an equal opportunity adviser and coordinator of a sexual harassment-assault prevention program at the Army’s 3rd Corps headquarters at Fort Hood when the allegation arose.

Just days earlier, the Air Force’s head of sexual assault prevention was arrested on charges of groping a woman in a northern Virginia parking lot.

NOTE: This news also comes a day after KOIN 6 News’ report on Portland soldier Liz Luras, who believes she was discharged from the Army for reporting a rape that left her hospitalized. She is fighting for a bill in the nation’s capital, HR 975, that she hopes would bring justice for military sex-assault victims.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s