Alcohol hits candle flame; bartender burned

ambulance

PORTLAND, Ore. — A bartender was burned when a bottle of alcohol broke over a candle and sparked into flames Thursday evening in the Pearl District.

The fire at the Bluehour Restaurant, located at 250 NW 13th Ave., burned the bartender on his torso and arms and set off the sprinkler.

According to a statement on the restaurant’s Facebook page Friday, the bartender was preparing a cocktail when the high-proof alcohol accidentally ignited.

By the time firefighters arrived at 8:30 p.m., the fire was out.

The victim, identified by Bluehour as Steve Grimm, was taken to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center for treatment for first and second degree burns. No one else was hurt.

According to Bluehour, Grimm was still recovering at the hospital, but was likely to be released Saturday.

Bluehour expected to reopen by Saturday afternoon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s